The ordination to the priesthood is a sacred and significant occasion in the Catholic Church. It marks the culmination of years of spiritual formation and discernment and the beginning of a lifelong commitment to serving God and the community. Music plays a pivotal role in enhancing the solemnity and significance of this ceremony. In this article, we will explore the importance of music in the ordination to the priesthood and offer suggestions for hymns suitable for this celebration.
The Significance of Music
In the context of ordination to the priesthood, the choice of music becomes a powerful tool to create an atmosphere of reverence, joy, and spiritual contemplation. Here’s why it’s important:
- Enhancing the Sacred Atmosphere – The right music can transform the church into a sacred space, elevating the minds and hearts of those present and underscoring the solemnity of the occasion.
- Expressing Joy and Gratitude – Ordination is a joyful moment, not just for the ordinand but for the entire faith community. Music can express this joy and gratitude through melodic harmonies and uplifting lyrics.
- Reflecting on the Journey – The selection of appropriate hymns can help everyone present, especially the ordinand, to reflect on their spiritual journey, the call to priesthood, and the responsibilities that lie ahead.
- Uniting the Congregation – Music has the power to unite people in a shared experience of worship. Well-chosen hymns encourage active participation and communal prayer.
Hymn Suggestions for Ordination to the Priesthood
When selecting hymns for an ordination ceremony, it’s essential to consider the themes of priesthood, commitment, and service to the Church. Here are some hymns that are particularly suitable for this significant event:
- Here I am – Tony Alonso
- I Will Follow You – Peter Grant
- Servant Song – Richard Gillard
- O Sacred Flame – Erica Marshall
- The Call – Br James Maher
- Lord, Lead Me – Br Colin Smith
- Praise Your Name – Michael Harvey & Ronelle McKay
- The Summons – John Bell
- To The Ends of the Earth – Fr Robert Galea
- Sing a New Song – Richard Connolly & James McAuley
- O Sacrament Most Holy – Br Colin Smith
- Ordination to Priesthood Years A,B & C Psalm 109 – Br Colin Smith
The choice of music for an ordination to the priesthood is a decision that should be made thoughtfully and prayerfully. These hymns, among others, have been chosen for their ability to convey the profound significance of the occasion and the commitment of the ordinance to a life of service. Through music, the ordination ceremony becomes a deeply spiritual and moving experience for all who gather to witness and celebrate the ordination of a new priest into the Church.